Ever want to provide your readers with email updates to your website? WordPress’ built in RSS feed functionality provides an easy way to provide the content to email newsletter services like Mailchimp or Mailerlite.
But what if you want to create email updates that don’t include all your new posts, just specific post categories? Well that’s pretty easy. According to the WordPress Codex
You can include posts from all of multiple categories or tags in a feed by adding to the end of the link. For example:http://www.example.com/category/cat1/category/cat2/feed
Pretty easy. But what if you have decided to add Custom Post Types to your website, like a Portfolio, Woo Commerce, Calendar, or Testimonials?
How can you create a RSS Mix to combine those? Or what if you want an RSS Mix that includes posts from your website and external sites?
Well there is a free online website RSS Mix that will let you do that easily.
- collect your various rss feed URLs
- go to the RSS Mix website
- add each of the separate feed urls and click the Create button
- The website creates a custom rss feed for you that you access via a link to their website.
You can use that URL as the feed source in your email campaign.
For example I wanted to combine the updates for WordPress Website Coach posts with the category Developer Resources along with the updates to the custom post type Code Snippets.
- The URL for the standard posts category Developer Resources is: https://wp-website-coach.com/category/wp-wc/developer-resources/feed
- The URL for the custom post type Code Snippets is: https://wp-website-coach.com/feed?post_type=code-snippet
The resultant combined feed is: http://www.rssmix.com/u/11422854/rss.xml
You can subscribe to those email updates on the Developer Resources page.